Thursday, February 15, 2024

Always Be Moving

It took me a long time to write "Practical Steps For Dealing With Cancer" and when I finished it I knew it was too long. I whittled it down to the size of a handbook. I did this for two reasons. The first is that I wanted it to be short, focused, and easy to read. The second is that I wanted it to be universal so that the book applies to the widest possible audience. To achieve that I had to leave out some things that are important, and one of the most important things is staying physically active. 

Whatever your circumstances are, do what you can to keep moving. Get as much exercise as you can. Run, ride a bike, walk, workout, do yoga, get out of your chair/couch/bed regularly. If you have always exercised and have been de-conditioned by health problems, try to build back up, and accept it if you can't return to the same standard. Just re-set your standard or find something to replace that activity. There is overwhelming evidence that movement and exercise have a positive impact on your health. 

It's not always easy to stay motivated for exercise. If you're good at visualization, think/see your idealized self. It feels good and can lift your spirits and get you psyched. It's something that professional athletes do. As for me, I've always been obsessed with data, e.g., for cycling and workouts. It helps me create focus for the next ride or next workout. I recently started wearing an Apple Watch and I have to admit, the damn thing helps keep me moving. I set it to remind me to get up and move every hour. I set personal goals for activity and it reminds when I'm slacking and how much more I have to do. It's like I'm competing with myself. You get the idea. A "wearable" can be a good tool for at least some of us. That said, I'm a "watch guy" and I prefer to be wearing an actual mechanical watch. No problem; one on each wrist. But no matter what, always be moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment