Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Cancer and PTSD

Most people do not normally associate PTSD with cancer, but it’s now known that cancer patients and even their caregivers are subject to it.

In 2018 when I was a patient at Brigham & Women’s in Boston I got a taste of it. After a long and complicated surgery I spent nine days in the ICU. I was conscious and functional but restricted in movement by all of the stuff attached to me. It’s never dark, and people came in at all hours to draw blood, take x-rays, check vitals, etc. About one week into it I started to hallucinate. I was seeing things that I knew were not there, which was really disturbing. I was finally transferred to a step-down unit and spent almost two weeks there. The drudgery and routine were mind numbing. By the time I was discharged I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. It was great to be home again, although I wasn’t out of the woods yet.

 

When I finally got home I slept in a downstairs bedroom by myself. I was too weak to go upstairs to the normal bedroom. I started having ferocious nightmares every night. They were so bad I didn’t want to go back to sleep. I turned on the light, listened to music, read for a while; anything to keep me occupied until daylight. Then I’d get up and have a coffee before laying down on the couch and sleeping for a couple of hours in broad daylight. Somehow it seemed safer. I still remember one recurring dream. I had some kind of metal plate bolted to my chest with a rope or chain dangling from it. A big dog would come and grab the chain, pulling hard on it like it was trying to rip it out of my body. I screamed; it was excruciating and I thought I’d die if the plate was ripped out. Then I woke up in a sweat. The nightmares went on for a couple of months and then finally faded. Since then I’ve had a new level of empathy for people who suffer from PTSD but can’t manage to shake it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment